I was just trying to run my tests and I got this error. The strange part is that I haven’t changed anything with my tests so I was a little confused. Luckily, the first couple search results helped me figure out what was wrong. I remembered that I was doing some testing of our apps under the latest version of node and had changed my version. I also had downgraded my version of NPM to match our dev environments. So while I wasn’t sure which of the changes caused this error, I figured out the fix which was blow away my node_modules folder and do a npm install. This meant all the modules were built with the correct node bindings and any differences between npm v2 and v3 were also resolved. Problem fixed, and tests running (although now failing). Hope this helps someone.